Thursday, November 19, 2009

My opinion of Killing Yourself to Live

I found Killing Yourself to Live by Chuck Klosterman to be a interesting read. I enjoyed Klosterman's manic writing style. His signature style spoke directly from his mind and I found this to be refreshing yet at times confusing. The way in which he related music to almost every aspect of his life was amazing to me. I admit I did not understand all of his musical references but Klosterman's quick wit and smartass nature excused the fact that I could'nt understand every musical connection.

The only piece of the story that I was disappointed with was the lack of growth of the main character, Chuck Klosterman. As much as Chuck talked about his relationship issues I thought that he would make some of realization as to why his romantic relationships never worked out. Chuck portrays himself as an extremely selfish person and I hoped that he would become slightly less egocentric by the time his story had concluded.

I would recommend the book Killing Yourself to Read to others only with the condition that the reader have some basic understanding of classic rock and roll, otherwise the story would be lost in translation.

No comments:

Post a Comment